Sunday, April 29, 2007

Trust in God

Often times in our lives we are left with horrible pain. Many times this pain comes from our hearts. We hurt. We ache. We long for something. We long for what we desire. We long for what comforts us. We long for security. We long for safety. This is a totally human experience. This is many times a trial. This is a test from God often.
When we have our hearts torn, when we have our hearts ripped out, that is when we need God the most, however, we normally don't turn to HIM. If you have ever been dumped by someone you love, you know exactly what I am talking about. All you want to do is curl up in a ball and cry. All you want to do is try and get that person back. All you do is focus on you. All your energy is spent going what if... All your time is spent in mourning. These are grand gestures in their own rite. However, they lack God.
When we are mourning the loss of one we love, it is often times because we lack that comfort. We lack that security of having that person there. We miss that person in our lives. We are not knowing what to do. We are confused. When someone is very important in our lives and they are suddenly not in that position of importance (from a breakup or move) or no longer there (death), it leaves a huge hole. This hole in our lives can be filled in numerous ways. We can fill it with drugs and alcohol. We can fill it with sex. We can fill it with companions. We can fill it with tears. We can fill it with prayer. We can allow this void in our lives to destroy us or we can allow it strengthen and renew us. The choice is up to us.
Padre Pio tells us that we are purified by our sufferings. By offering up our sufferings, we are purifying ourselves and others. When I am aching and hurting, I tell God take it. I tell HIM to transform my suffering into something glorious for HIM. I offer it up for all the times that I have sinned and will sin again. I offer it up for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. I offer it up for others in this world whom I know are suffering. I offer it up for the one that I miss. I offer it up for Jesus suffering on the Cross. I mean if Jesus suffered and died through a horrible crucifixion, can't I at least offer up my heartache to HIM? I was on HIS mind during all HIS suffering. Why shouldn't HE be on mine during my own crucifixion of my heart?
When we are suffering it is always wonderful to remember our Blessed Mother. Mary was Jesus' mother and now is our Heavenly Mother. Does not a mother always want what is best for her children? Does not a mother always want her children to be happy? Mary wants all of this for us and sooooo much more. Countless Saints have encouraged us to offer up our sufferings to God. However, during this time many Saints have also told us to offer our intentions to Mary for her intercession. Mary is the Coredemptrix of all Graces. As Queen of Heaven, Mary has a very intimate connection with her Son, Jesus. Where do all graces come from? God. Who is Jesus? God. Now if Mary can receive countless graces for us just by whispering in Jesus' ear, why don't we implore her more often in our times. The Memorare tells us that anyone who flees to Mary will not be left unaided.
Sometimes these sufferings feel like they are too great. They make us feel like we cannot continue. They make us want to curl up in a ball and just cry. This is the perfect time for us. This is the time when we will truly offer ourselves to God. The purest prayer that I have ever experienced has involved me with a broken heart. It involved me totally emptying myself emotionally (since I was such a wreck) and saying, “God I can't do this. I need you.” I was in adoration when it happened. I was kneeling in adoration for about 30 minutes just bawling my eyes out asking God why. Did He tell me why my heart was busted? NO! Did he comfort me? YES HE DID!!!!!!!!!

No comments: